Tuesday, August 5

...Ate Cake

Some of my very best friends [Amanda & Andrew] are expecting their first munchkin. Mini Drew is set to arrive around September 15 and I can hardly wait to meet him. A couple Sundays ago, a group of us threw Amanda a baby shower. I volunteered to do the invitations and the cake; my two favorite things about any kind of social gathering! Getting an invitation in the mail is so exciting, I don't care who you are. Knowing you were thought of when someone was creating a guest list creates such a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Unfortunately, I am an invitation snob. It is my first impression of an event and I can always tell if the invitation was an after thought. You know the ones. Usually an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper with cheesy clip art hap hazardly placed with at least five different fonts used on it. Yuck. Two fonts at the most people. Please.

The invitation I chose for this shower is perfect. Amanda is the most stylish pregnant person I have ever known. She still wears high heels people. I have a hard time wearing heels period, let alone when with child. When I saw this invite with a chic pregnant chick wearing heals I had to use it.

Cakes. Fun to look at, even more fun to eat. I am pretty proud of the cake design I came up with for Amanda's shower. I found a couple of ideas on the Internet and had Hy-Vee combine them. This was the end result...

I wonder if Hy-Vee will "borrow" this idea from me too. While ordering the sweets for Finn's birthday, we heard Cecilia say, "Hey, that's my cake." We turned around and there it was, our Jayhawk Princess cake on display. What?! We where shocked. Before Cecilia's 3rd birthday I asked her what kind of cake she wanted. She replied, "A Jayhawk princess one." After a couple of days I got the idea to use the typical Barbie cake, but have the baker use KU as the theme. They hit it dead on. Here is our version, which was featured in the Friends and Neighbors section of the Lawrence Journal World on January 1, 2007...

...And here is Hy-Vee's current display cake, even labeled as their "Jayhawk Princess" cake which sells for $44.99! The Baker said someone brought in the photo of Ceci and her cake from the newspaper. She still has it hanging on the wall in her office. It was so popular they decided to make a display of it. Cool, huh? I do not know why I am so proud of these two cakes. I did not make them and could never come close to creating something like them. Kudos to the Hy-Vee Bakery on 6th street in Lawrence! You make me look good.

3 comments:

TraceFace said...

That is so awesome about the Jayhawk Princess Cake! Such a great idea, Ceci! Clearly you are being raised properly. :)

j said...

Shouldn't you be making royalties?!
That's cool.

Jake

Anonymous said...

In your "spare" time, you should design cakes for the HyVee cake decorators! I'm sure they could use some fresh ideas! Or you could just ask Ceci and I'm sure she could think up a unique combination like the "Jayhawk Princess" cake! Very cute cakes!
Mom H.