Friday, June 20

...Grew a Smile

Mr. Big went to his very first dentist appointment today. He was very excited to sit in their butterfly chair to have his picture taken, as was Cecilia the first time she went to see Dr. Kelli at Growing Smiles Pediatric Dentistry. This place is amazing. There is this super cool water fountain right out front that looks like a big bowl of overflowing water. The waiting room is beautiful, with the coolest artwork all over the place, plus they have great kid toys and of course a fabulously huge flat panel TV on the wall. There is also some kind of video game unit that I am sure Mr. Big will adore some day, but for today he was happy to just sit on my lap and watch Sesame Street.

When Cecilia gets her teeth cleaned she gladly reclines in the chair, pops on some headphones and watches cartoons on the flat panel TV located on the ceiling directly above her chair. I. Am. Jealous. I spent quite a bit of time in the dentist/orthodontist chair in my day and never did I have such luxuries. They even have chocolate chip cookie dough flavored toothpaste at this dentist office. SO, not fair.

For Mr. Big's examination, Dr. Kelli and I sat facing each other with our knees touching. I held him, facing me and then laid his head back into her lap. He thought it was fun until she started feeling around in his mouth. I told him he was scaring the other little kids in the waiting room. The exam was short and sweet, so he did not suffer too badly. Dr. Kelli said all is well inside his little mouth and told me we should start brushing Mr. Big's toophers. Even gave us one of those cool finger brushes to use. I am volunteering Wade for that job.

I know what you are thinking, "Uh, he is only one. Why are you taking him to the dentist already? I didn't take my kids that early." I will give you three reasons why:
1) According to Dr. Kelli and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, a child should see a dentist by age one or when the first tooth appears. Finn is a year old and has three teeth.
2) Wade has amazing dental insurance that covers two exams a year and we do not have to pay a dime. Why not take full advantage of it, right?
3) Mr. Big will learn from an early age that going to the dentist is cool, plus I get to leave work and take him!

3 comments:

TraceFace said...

Oh Megan! I do learn so much from you! I was indeed thinking, when the heck do I need to take Ben to the dentist?! And then you answered my question! It looks like an awesome place. I will have to look for an equivalent when Ben is ready for the dentist.

j said...

Hey Meg! So I was reading this story before the images loaded, and I was wondering "WHO IS MR. BIG???"

How did you get this nickname?
I hear it and think of the guy in Sex in the City.

Anonymous said...

I like Mr. Finn better than Mr. Big. I agree with Jacob....it makes me think of Sex in the City.
Good idea....Finn will get used to going to the dentist. What an awesome dentist office! What a sweet smile!
Nana D.